At Binder & Associates, our personal injury attorneys in Encino, California understand the devastating effects drunk or impaired driving have to our clients. Those who choose to drive while impaired are putting the public in danger every second they are on the road. Once an accident happens, these drivers will face the consequences imparted by the State of California laws. But what about those they have hurt?
Our personal injury lawyers in Encino, California firmly believe that our clients are entitled to more than criminal justice when facing injuries sustained from an accident caused by a drunk driver. We believe civil justice is important too, and we can help pursue the financial recovery you deserve.
State of California DUI Laws & Regulations
Like the other 49 states, California has stringent drunk driving laws that help keep our community safe. However, these laws are ineffective in stopping everyone from driving while intoxicated or impaired.
According to the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles, the current intoxicated blood alcohol content levels are:
- BAC of .08% or higher, for individuals 21 and older
- BAC of .01% or higher, for individuals under 21
- BAC of .01% or higher, applicable at any age if the individual is already on DUI probation
- BAC of .04% or higher, in any vehicle requiring a CDL
State of California Drunk or Impaired Driving Statistics
According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, California ranks second in the nation in annual alcohol-impaired-driving fatalities.
The California Office of Traffic Safety listed over 3,600 traffic fatalities including:
- 1,070 deaths where the driver’s BAC was 01+
- 914 deaths where the driver’s BAC was .08+
- 59 deaths where the driver’s BAC was .15+
The California OTS reports an average of:
- 180,000 annual DUI arrests throughout the state each year
- 24,000 injuries reported in accidents caused by drunk drivers
National Drunk and Impaired Driving Statistics
Drunk and impaired driving knows no bounds. If an individual is willing to risk lives by drinking and getting behind the wheel in California, chances are they are willing to do so in any state.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration details national statistics for alcohol-related vehicle crashes, including:
- 28 people die in the United States each day; one person every 51 minutes
- Claim more than 10,000 lives per year
- 181 children 14 and under are killed annually
- Damages and death contribute to a cost of $52 billion per year
The Centers for Disease Control contributes that:
- Over one million drivers are arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics
- 16% of motor vehicle crashes are caused by drivers using drugs (legal and illegal) other than alcohol
- Drivers with a BAC of .08% or higher that were involved in a fatal crash were 4.5 times more likely to have a prior conviction for DWI than drivers without alcohol in their systems
If you have been injured in a crash with a drunk driver, or if your family suffered a wrongful death in a crash with an impaired driver, our attorneys can help you pursue the financial damages you require to move forward.
Binder & Associates Can Help Accident Victims Recover
Our accident attorneys handle personal injury cases with an aggressive approach to achieving success.
We represent clients who have been hurt in:
Contact Binder & Associates in Encino, California For A Free Consultation Today
If you have been involved in an accident of any kind, contact our experienced Encino, California personal injury attorneys at Binder & Associates today at (818) 740-7667 to understand how we can help you pursue the financial recovery you deserve.