Recently, reports concerning food poisoning cases have linked the illnesses with one diner in Westlake Village, California. The outbreak reminds us that food poisoning cases should not be taken lightly.
According to the reports, a popular deli may have been the source of 21 cases of food poisoning that were reported between April and August of 2014. Many believe the cases went under the radar mostly because health officials failed to act. But how is that possible?
According to news sources, Ventura County health inspectors initiated an investigation into the salmonella cases tied to a very popular deli. At least 21 cases have been reported so far. At least two of the people who fell ill were employees.
While the investigation was ongoing, the public was never properly alerted of the potential risk. The Ventura County Environmental Health’s director was interviewed discussing the investigation. According to his claims, the public is never alerted of any potential dangers while the investigation is still underway. According to the agency, the idea of alerting the public about the potential for other salmonella cases is something they are evaluating.
But now that the cases hit the news, the agency’s action on the matter may have come too late.
“Is It Ebola?” Salmonella Cases Scare Doctors
According to the reports, one of the consumers who fell ill after being exposed to food prepared at the deli that may have been contaminated with salmonella was so sick his doctors thought he had contracted Ebola. Thankfully for everybody involved, he had just been exposed to food poisoning.
One of the consumers who was exposed to the contamination has filed a lawsuit against the deli claiming the restaurant failed to put the safety of their customers first. An independent investigation carried out by NBC has discovered that cases associated with the same diner have been occurring since 2007. Health inspectors found several safety violations over several visits but the deli was never ordered to shut down. Some of the issues included improper refrigeration and sanitation. After many reports, the deli finally closed for on day in August to open for a third party to have the place cleaned. According to the deli’s owner, the restaurant is safe.
Many patrons love the restaurant and believe the place is safe, but for further information on the over 20 cases of salmonella contamination, we’ll have to wait for more details from the health inspectors.
For more details on this particular story, follow this link to read more.