When surgeons and other medical professionals make mistakes and these errors result in serious injuries, injured patients will likely have a malpractice claim.
Undergoing surgery for any condition can be as frightening, especially if the procedure is expected to take hours and/or is being done on one of your vital organs. What can make matters even more stressful and scary are the considerations that:
- Surgeons may be inexperienced at performing the operation you are undergoing.
- Surgical mistakes can lead to serious and possibly even life-threatening health complications.
When surgeons and other medical professionals make mistakes and these errors result in serious injuries, injured patients will likely have a malpractice claim and can obtain compensation for their injuries and losses by pursing a malpractice lawsuit.
Types of Surgery Errors
Some of the most common types of surgery errors that can occur include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Anesthesia errors (which may involve administering the wrong doses of anesthesia, the wrong anesthesia, etc.)
- Performing surgery on the wrong area of the body
- Leaving surgical equipment like sponges in patients
- Puncturing blood vessels or other organs surrounding the surgery site.
Causes of Surgery Errors
Some of the most common causes of surgery errors may involve:
- Surgeon inexperience (or the inexperience of nurses or other medical professionals who may be assisting in the operation)
- Surgeon fatigue (which may result from surgeons working especially long hours)
- Surgeon intoxication (which can be a problem if or when surgeons – or other medical professionals – have drug or alcohol addiction problems or if surgeons are called to surgery in the middle of the night after they have been partying)
- Malfunction of surgical equipment (particularly in cases when da Vinci surgery robots may be used to perform surgeries)
- Poorly equipped hospitals.
Los Angeles Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you have developed complications after undergoing surgery and believe that surgeon’s mistakes may have been to blame, you need an attorney who understands personal injury law and knows what steps to take on your behalf. At Binder and Associates, our Encino medical malpractice attorneys have been committed to aggressively defending victims’ rights and helping people like you in the Los Angeles, California area since 1973. Our thorough knowledge of the law and our fierce litigating skills allow us to consistently help accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.
At Binder and Associates, we take pride in providing individual service and attention to each our clients, and we are selective in the number of cases we take. This allows us to focus on the issue at hand, attack each case with vigor and provide the highest quality legal work possible. It also allows us to keep each of our clients informed about the status of their cases at all times so that they never feel that they are being left in the dark when it comes to their the important legal matters.
To arrange for your free initial consultation during which you will receive trusted advice from an experienced legal professional, please contact our office by calling us at 626-793-9124 or by emailing us using the form on the right-hand side of this page.